Rantin's and Ravin's from the Heart of Dixie

Life as I know it from a Southern girl's point of view.

Sunday, July 23, 2006

I might not know where I'm goin, but I'm sure where I come from....

Ok, so I know it's been a while, but it's not that it really matters anyways. My 2 faithful readers told me that they haven't checked out my blog in a while. Oh well, I do not write for them. I write for me. Alot has been goin on since my last post which I cannot believe was on July 7th. I'm turning into the Yankee. The Yankee never posts anymore and I know he doesn't have time, but I sure do miss Six Cents.

Anyways, since I last posted I have been to Nashville for Phi Mu's 49th Convention. I have been once before but it was in 2002 (our 150th year!) in Atlanta when I was a collegian. Talk about an amazing experience this time though. It's so much different as an alumna. I went with 3 other collegians and it was neat to see them finally get what the big picture is all about. I went to alumnae workshops and I'm so fired up about how we can increase our membership for our alumnae chapter. But more on that later. It really bothers me when people say "I was in a sorority" or "I was in a fraternity." No, you're still in that organization unless you relenquished your membership. So what if you pledged almost 10 years ago, wear your letters with pride. I overheard someone say yesterday about one of our guy friends "You're not in a fraternity anymore, stop wearing your shirts from 7 years ago." That really pissed me off. Since this blog is all about rantin's, this is definitely turned into one! The traditionally black greek letter organizations are so much more active than NPC or NIFC groups as alums. It just doesn't stop for them when they graduate. After being at convention and serving as an alumnae chapter officer and advisory council member for the past 2 years, I have learned that we have so much more work to do when we graduate. It's time to give back to what has been given to us. I will gladly give all that I can to my beloved organization and my chapter because of what she has given to me. But unfortunately, too many people see it as something I did in college.

Yesterday, several members from our alumnae chapter went to the motherland, aka Phi Mu Headquarters in Peachtree City, GA. It took my breath away. This new headquarters is brand new, not even a year old. Through fundraising efforts, the new HQ is over 50% paid for and it opened in Septemeber 2005. All I can say is "Holy Quatrefoil Batman!" There were quatrefoils everywhere and it was absolutely beautiful to see our National Museum and some of the archives that were on display. In the board room, 3 original portraits hung of our 3 Founders, Mary AnnDupont Lines, Mary Elizabeth Myrick Daniel and Martha Bibb Hardaway Redding. I got a little teary eyed when I saw them. My chapter does this song called "Guardian Angels" and the opening line is "A hundred year old photograph stares out from a frame and if you look real close you'll see, our eyes are just the same." The rest of the song played through my mind as I walked through the HQ. In the words of Kathy Williams, past National President, "I AM PROUD TO BE A PHI MU!"

On this trip yesterday, several other members made the comments that no one wants to do anything, blah blah blah. But no one ever really gave me a chance to talk about my ideas that I got from convention. How will we ever know if we don't at least try! Our collegiate chapter needs our support now more than ever and all they have to do is get involved. I overheard another comment yeserday that really bothered me too. This member is moving away for postgraduate work and she said she did not want to join the alumnae chapter where she was moving to because she didn't know anyone. GEEZ! Does she not realize that by joining that local alumnae chapter she will know people???? I can't wait to move away and join a new alumnae chapter. Who else could welcome me to my new city than my sisters? I dunno, maybe I'm just on a Phi Mu high right now, but I hope that I never lose it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home